Pages

Monday 6 June 2016

Writing: Recount - A Samoan Flavour.

“We will have the girls first’, Mrs Tui announced.

During lunch time, Room 7 stayed in class because we got to eat food that most Samoans eat. It was Samoan language week, and we had a samoan item to show our school. “Rosrine and Alecia, can you guys go and grab the box of lei’s and lava lava's’, Mrs Tui asked, politely.

Alecia and I raced down the hallway like a herd of elephants. Once we had all the supplies Mrs Tui wanted we raced back to class. I grabbed what I needed from the box. A lei and a red lavalava. Just after everyone got dressed, we started our Samoan lunch. Chop Suey, Rice, Luae, Corn Beef, and Coconut Cream Taro. All the girls lined up, in a weird curved line waiting for our food. Caroline, Sini, Alecia, Courtney, Sammy and I received our food and sat together, in a circle.

Just a few minutes later, I split my Chop Suey between Caroline and Sini because I knew that I wouldn’t be able to finish it. Most of the Room 7 students finished our plates and were getting ready to rehearse our Samoan dance, once again. Another 5 minutes passed, and we were getting into our lines to rehearse for our dance.

After our final practise for our dance, we cleaned up the classroom and headed off to the hall, to perform for Room 4. During the dance, I smelt something a bit odd, almost like fish. I brushed it off and carried on. Just then I realised the dance was over, and was a bit relieved. Room 4 then performed their item about the Samoan flag.

After all items were performed, Mrs Tui decided to take us out for a game of Dodgeball. The team I was put into was the team who got to start off being inside. I was one of the first people to get out, which regrettable. ‘Ring, Ring’, the school bell rang, loudly. We all whined at once and wanted to carry on playing. “That’s unfair”, I heard one of the students shout. I gave myself one of those ‘I don’t agree faces’, and carried on walking to class.

The experience of finally getting to dance in a different culture was pretty shocking. I hope to do it again, some time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment